The natural tooth structure colour changes as we age and is affected by our lifestyles and habits such as smoking, coffee, tea, colas, and red wine. There are a variety of tooth whitening options:
This tooth whitening procedure is completed in one 60-90 minute appointment. The first step is to isolate all gingival (gum) tissue with a coating and gauze to protect the gums, cheeks and lips. The teeth whitening gel is placed on the teeth and removed in cycles until the desire result is obtained.
We also offer a 40% hydrogen peroxide power bleaching gel, Opalescence Boost– in 30 minutes teeth whitening solution.
This type of teeth whitening consists of two appointments. During the first whitening appointment a set of upper and lower impressions are taken to form your custom trays. One week later you come into the office to pick-up the trays and teeth whitening gel. At this appointment a staff member will go over the at home instructions. It is important to know that everyone has different results with teeth whitening treatments. Some clients have gum and teeth sensitivity with this type of procedure. When considering a teeth whitening procedure, some things to think about are: do I have any restorative work (fillings and crowns), work on the front teeth or any exposed root surfaces because these areas cannot be whitened.
1. Brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day. If possible, after every meal is preferred.
2. Avoid foods and beverages that cause stains.
3. Use a straw to prevent your teeth from being exposed to beverages that can stain.
4. Rinse your mouth with water after each meal.
5. Stop smoking and chewing on tobacco.
6. Stop drinking coffee. If you must, try to cut back on how much you drink daily.
7. Avoid taking medications that contain tetracycline and doxycycline.
8. Use over the counter whitening products.
9. Visit the dentist every six months for checkups and cleaning.